As a part of the Erasmus+ Sport programme of the European Union, Ski Klub Rijeka is the coordinator of the small collaborative partnership project for the first time.
The main goal of the project SkiSafe is to promote safe and healthy environment for youth alpine ski racers, while implementing on-snow training and other physical activities. In a long run, the Ski Klub Rijeka and the partner organizations aim to increase the the awareness from potential injuries among youth alpine ski racers, and educate the skiing society on safety measures implementation. The project was developed by Ski Klub Rijeka and its three partners from Slovakia, Italy, and Croatia.
There are various activities and meetings planned for the project from January 2021 until June 2022:
• kick-off meeting in Rijeka, Croatia (March 2021)
• research on existing national and FIS – International ski federation’s good practices (April-September 2021)
• 1st SkiSafe workshop camp at Kronplatz, Italy (November 2021)
• 2nd SkiSafe workshop camp at Jasna, Slovakia (March 2022)
• preparation of SkiSafe guidelines for publication (March – June 2022)
• final conference meeting in Rijeka, Croatia (June 2022)
Some of the main activities of the SkiSafe project are educational workshops where the skiing industry experts educate the ski instructors and coaches on various safety and health topics. Together with our partners, we have created and organized specific educational workshop camps in Italy and Slovakia for 30 different ski instructors and ski coaches, 10 from each participating countries. Camps include elements of non-formal education methods and can be implemented by other skiing organizations in the future.
POTENTIAL RESULTS AND IMPACT OF THE PROJECT:
ON YOUTH ALPINE SKI RACERS:
– increased knowledge about safety and health impact on their ski careers;
– improved safety and health while performing ski training and other physical activities during the ski camps;
– increased attitudes of caution during on-snow and off-snow activities;
ON SKI CLUBS, INSTRUCTORS/TRAINERS, SKI FEDERATION:
Publications are one of the output of the project, illustrating the project, the methodologies used as well as good practices collected from various experts and professionals of alpine ski racing society. It provides examples and models for other ski clubs on how to properly organize ski training and camps for youth alpine ski racers and conduct safety training measures.
Project SkiSafe was co-funded by Erasmus+ Sport Programme, Small Collaborative Partnership.